I recently created a Birthday Bucket List of stuff I would like to accomplish this year. One of those items is to create a meal for friends. I decided to make a fun evening of it and do a buffet style dinner party. Now I am planning a dinner party for 6 for the springtime.
Planning a Dinner Party for 6 – An Evening with Friends
So I have never really planned a dinner party for anyone other than my husband and daughter. I have had parties but I just did appetizers that were simple and easy. This time I want to plan a 3-4 course meal.
Consider these points when planning your party.
- What is your budget
- How many guests
- Do you have a theme
- What will be on the menu
- When will the dinner be
- Will it be formal or informal
- Consider food allergies an food restrictions for your guests
Remember, keep it simple you don’t have to be Martha Stewart.
- Make a list of all the items you will need
- Choose menus items that you have tasted
- Make a list for food prep
- Find foods that compliment each other
- Create a signature mocktail/cocktail
Most of the party prep can be done in advance. This way you are not exhausted on the day of the dinner. Begin to prepare at least 2 days ahead of the planned party.
2 Days Before
- Purchase all the food and supplies needed
- Clean and organize
- Prepare any sauces cover and refrigerate
1 Day Before
- Prepare and bake desserts
- Pull out dishes and set the table
- Purchase any last minute items
- Decorate if you are doing a themed party
The Day of Party
Ok, so if you have never done a dinner party before you are probably beginning to panic. I know I will be.
- Prepare fruits and veggies
- make sure appetizers are ready to go
- Add last minute touches
- Have a glass of wine and relax
I have already begun planning the dinner party with my husband. Right now we are just throwing ideas back and forth and also trying to pick a date before the end of May.
We have decided on the theme of Springtime Game Night for an evening of fun and laughter.
Most people who have dinner parties have a sit-down meal, we aren’t able too due to limited space. We are doing a buffet style for the meal with appetizers served beforehand.
We look forward to sharing more details as we plan the menu.